Rich Litvin’s 121 Powerful Questions for Coaches and Leaders to Challenge Their Clients’ Blindspots
1. What do you want?
2. What else? (my secret favorite question!)
3. What would make this an EXTRAORDINARY conversation?
4. If you were to call me 3 years from today—as you look back to this conversation—what did we discuss that changed EVERYTHING?
5. How will you know when you’ve got what you want? What will you see, hear and feel?
6. Who do you LOVE?
7. How do you want to be REMEMBERED?
8. Where are you making a CONTRIBUTION to something bigger than yourself?
9. Where are you out of integrity? Where have you made a ‘commitment’ that you are not really committed to?
10. What people, places and habits FILL you with ENERGY?
11. What people, places and habits DRAIN you of ENERGY?
12. What’s the LEGACY you are going to leave for your children?
13. What’s the LEGACY you are going to leave in your business?
14. What would it mean about you if you got what you want?
15. What would you want if it wouldn’t mean anything about you?
16. What would be the worst thing for you about getting what you want?
17. What would you want if you knew it would be ok if you got it?
18. What are the goals you have where you don’t want to DO anything to make them happen—but if they did, that would be awesome?
19. What would you want if you could be guaranteed that you didn’t have to lose it?
20. What would you want if you were guaranteed that you were going to get it?
21. What would you want if you knew you couldn’t fail?
22. What would you want if you knew that it was ok to fail?
23. What is the thing that when you are doing it, you totally forget about time?
24. What does your heart long for?
25. Where are you in regards to performance expectations?
26. What would having that accomplish for you?
27. How’s your family?
28. How’s business?
29. What would you change?
30. What’s that like for you?
31. In what way?
32. What’s working about your lifestyle/career/family life/relationship?
33. What’s not working about your lifestyle/career/family life/relationship?
34. When was the time in your life that you felt most alive? What were you doing?
35. What did ____________ say that had you call me?
36. What experience would you like to have by achieving that?
37. Based upon what you are up to what would you like to create?
38. What would be the purpose in doing that?
39. What purpose would that serve?
40. What’s working? What’s not working? What’s missing? What’s next?
41. Is there anything else you would like me to know about this?
42. Is there anything else you don’t want me to know about this?
43. Anything else that you feel would be useful for me to know?
44. When you believe the thought__________how do you react?
45. Who would you be without the thought______________?
46. What has you ask the question?
47. What point are you trying to make?
48. What is the problem you wake up to every morning?
49. What’s missing that’s causing you to want to__________?
50. What’s going on over there for you?
51. What did you hear me say?
52. What comes up for you when I say that?
53. What comes up for you when you think about that?
54. What would life be like if you responded differently?
55. What are you thinking right now?
56. What do you need to tell you?
57. What do you need to tell me?
58. What STOPS you?
59. How is that working for you?
60. Where do you HOLD BACK?
61. What SCARES you?
62. Does it really scare you?
63. Why are you COMMITTED to doing these things that you ‘say’ you don’t want to do?
64. What’s the upside of keeping the problem?
65. What’s the downside of getting rid of the problem?
66. Why would you continue to remain in a situation that is so stressful?
67. What is your biggest gift?
68. When you leave a room, what do people miss most about you?
69. What’s your IMPACT?
70. What makes you ask the question?
71. Can you give me an example of that?
72. What would it look like to you if the situation was resolved?
73. What’s going well for you?
74. What are you ignoring?
75. What is boring you?
76. What are you TOLERATING?
77. What drives you crazy?
78. What makes you lazy?
79. What gets you excited?
80. How do you operate when that happens?
81. What’s the REAL issue here?
82. What is your game plan?
83. What do you make of all of this?
84. What’s your best idea on how to solve this?
85. And that’s based on what?
86. How do you know that?
87. What is occurring that tells you that?
88. What did you decide that meant?
89. What else?
90. What basic habit do you return to when faced with a difficult problem?
91. What can’t you know enough about?
92. About what have you heard all you ever want to know?
93. Where can you put a stake in the ground?
94. What are you waiting for to go away before you act?
95. What would you do if you had more TIME?
96. What would you do if you had less TIME?
97. What would you do if you had more MONEY?
98. What would you do if you had less MONEY?
99. What would you do if you had more INFORMATION?
100. What would you do if you had less INFORMATION?
101. What would you do if you knew more PEOPLE?
102. What would you do if you knew less PEOPLE?
103. What do you take on that you should leave to others?
104. What do you leave to others that you should be doing?
105. Do you know someone who is getting the results you wish to get?
106. Who is he being that you are not?
107. What type of people can’t you stand?
108. What type of people do you fall for too easily?
109. What are the words that are there right now?
110. What times of the day are you energized or drained of energy?
111. When in the month or year are you energized or drained of energy?
112. If someone held a gun to the head of a loved one and they’d die if you didn’t take IMMEDIATE action, what’s the first tiny step you’d take?
113. If you’d earn a million dollars by taking one small step right now, what would you do?
114. What are you really committed to and what are you going to do about it?
115. Is this something that’s worth drawing a line in the sand for?
116. What if that wasn’t true?
117. If you did know, what would you do?
118. What do you get by not being able to decide?
119. How would you coach a client on this very issue?
120. What’s your BREAKTHROUGH GOAL? (If you were only allowed to focus on ONE goal on your list, which goal would would be most likely to ensure that EVERY other goal was accomplished ANYWAY—even if you were not allowed to work on them).
121. Where do we go from here?